Labels

Saturday, October 8, 2016

Dont be a Water Killer, Invest in a Water Filter

In our first action we learned about the importance of water, which took us in depth with clean water and learning how a filtration works. This action project in my Water class is about making your own working water filter with natural resources. We were given the choice of different water sources to filter and I chose river water from our first action project. We will then calculate the pH before and after filtration and turn them into a logarithmic equation. The purpose of this action project was to get a deeper look into filtration and see how it works from a hands on perspective. We were able to connect with this project as an individual by making water filters, as well as on a field experience as we saw how Chicago gets its water and how it's filtered. One of the things that stood out from all the things we learned was the field experience. Knowing I am a visual learner it was surprising to me that I was able to experience how I get my water delivered so fast no matter where I am. The most challenging part for me was the logarithms. Logarithms were challenging because math is one of the subjects I'm not the strongest at but once I figured it out it was a satisfying feeling. From the whole experience I am mostly proud of my water filter. Even though I did not get great results it was awesome to know how easy it is to make one knowing purchasing a water filter can get pretty expensive.

My water filter will be organized by the biggest to smallest similar to the ground water filtration. For example bigger particles from the water will be filtered with bigger rocks. Smaller particles from the river water will be left behind but filtered by the sand and charcoal.
unnamed.jpg
 GA, (2016), Don't be a Water killer, Invest in a Water Filter, Water Sketch.
Materials:

-Sand
-Rocks
-Charcoal
-Sponges
-Fishnet cloth
-Coffee filters
-Gatorade bottle
-Scissors
-Tape

 Procedure:

  1. I first rinsed off any excess liquid in my gatorade bottle, then I cut about an inch at the bottom of the bottle to have the funnel effect. 
  2. I replaced the bottle cap with layered fishnet cloth. 
  3. Then I layered each material bottom to top using coffee filter, charcoal, sponge, sand, sponge, rocks, and sponge. 
  4.  Once I was done layering my water bottle I tested the pH level with the river water and got 3.8 before and after. 
Results:
water.jpg
GA, (2016), Don't be a Water killer, Invest in a Water Filter,Water filter.               


(Before)                                               (After)

Untitled drawing (1).jpg
Add captionGA, (2016), Don't be a Water killer, Invest in a Water Filter, Results chart

timeline.png
GA, (2016), Don't be a Water killer, Invest in a Water Filter, Before & After Timeline

My pH did not get more acidic or alkaline as it did not filter any of the river water.

math.png
GA, (2016), Don't be a Water killer, Invest in a Water Filter, Logarithm equation
pH+ value was 1.58 times 10^-4. My pH level did not change.

No comments:

Post a Comment